Farmer Annie leading a pickling class at Goddard House Assisted Living!
To spice up any of your favorite vegetables, follow these simple steps:
1. Select your vegetable. If necessary, break the vegetable into smaller pieces to fit into your pint jar.
2. Add your herbs and spices. A couple of sprigs of fresh herbs and a couple teaspoons of dried spices will do well. Our favorite recipe is:
3. Add ¼ cup vinegar and ¼ cups water, or enough so that there is a ½ inch of space between the top of the jar and the level of vinegar. Don’t worry if it’s not covering the vegetables entirely!
4. Add 1 tablespoon sugar if desired.
5. Wipe the top of the jar and close the lid. Give it a good shake.
6. Place in the refrigerator and add a label if you’d like!
7. Your pickles should be ready in a few hours. They are their tastiest when eaten within a week of pickling, but are safe for munching on until a month after preparation. Enjoy!
Information adapted from recipe found here: http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2016/09/quick-dill-pickle-chips-recipe.html.