We begin hiring for the grow season in early January each year. Although we are not currently hiring for Urban Farmers, we are always accepting resumes for full time or part time work that may be needed for the grow season.
Green City Growers is New England’s premier urban farming company. We transform unused space into thriving urban farms, providing schools, homeowners, restaurants, businesses and communities with immediate access to nutritious food, while revitalizing city landscapes and inspiring self-sufficiency. Our clients include: Whole Foods Market, the Beverly Public School system, Harvard Pilgrim Health Care, Boston Properties, B.GOOD restaurants, and Fenway Farms, a 5,000 sq. ft farm on the rooftop of Fenway Park. And there’s much more to come!
This is an exciting opportunity to join a hands-on team in a growing company that is dedicated to helping bring sustainable food production into Boston and beyond.
Green City Growers, or GCG, is growing and has several openings for urban farmers for the 2019 season. This is a full time, seasonal position running from March through early November 2019, with opportunities for part time off-season work.
- At least one season of previous farm or professional gardening experience
- Some teaching or leadership experience
- Some administrative experience and comfort with technology/computers
- Detail oriented with a demonstrated commitment to high quality work
- Strong time management and organizational abilities, with the ability to work in a very fast-paced environment
- Excellent communication skills, positive attitude, and professional demeanor
- Flexible schedule – some weekend days may be required, occasionally days run long
- Willingness and ability to perform physically challenging work in all weather conditions
- A love of the outdoors, farming, and urban renewal!
* Your own reliable vehicle to use for work is strongly preferred! Farmers who use their own vehicles are reimbursed for mileage.
We are hiring for several positions, so please detail your experience in any of the following areas:
- Ornamental landscaping and/or landscape design
- Production farm management or planning
- Orchard and berry bush care
- Chicken care and coop maintenance
- Carpentry or construction
- Teaching and curriculum development
- Experience in working with kids and/or seniors
- Visit a variety of clients’ gardens throughout the Greater Boston Area to plant, maintain, and harvest according to GCG’s horticultural practices. We use all organic management techniques, including OMRI approved pesticides and fungicides. Our staff tend to raised bed vegetable gardens, in-ground gardens, indoor grow systems, rooftop farms, orchards, chicken coops, and more!
- Management of interns, crew members, and volunteer groups may be occasionally required.
- Prepare for and document work daily in our online systems, including Google Calendar, Google Forms, and Insightly CRM.
- Attend regular weekly meetings with the horticultural staff to discuss problems/solutions, methods and materials. Communicate regularly with the Director of Horticulture to ensure garden quality and efficient scheduling.
- Other tasks may include assisting with GCG’s onsite research and development garden, maintaining and starting seedlings, keeping the office and start area clean and organized, educational curriculum development, and horticultural research and recordkeeping projects.
- Lead one-on-one and group garden education programs for adults and children at residential, school, corporate wellness, and eldercare sites.
Following a conditional offer of employment, GCG requires motor vehicle record checks on all final candidates.
To apply, please attach a resume and send a brief email with the subject “Urban Farmer Application” to firstname.lastname@example.org outlining your experience and desire to be part of our team. Please no calls or emails other than to this address.
Compensation: Base $15/hour, commensurate with experience, plus partial benefits package