Green City Growers is an employee owned (ESOP), Certified B Corporation and is the premier urban farming company based in Somerville, Massachusetts. We transform unused space into thriving urban farms, providing schools, homeowners, restaurants, businesses and communities with immediate access to nutritious food, while revitalizing city landscapes and inspiring self-sufficiency. This is an exciting opportunity to join a hands-on team in a quickly growing company that is dedicated to developing onsite food production systems.
Full Time Seasonal: 40 Hours/Week
Wage Range $20 – $23/Hour
Location: Somerville, MA
Green City Growers, or GCG, is growing and is looking to hire an urban farmer focused on our production sites, with paid drivetime from our headquarters to the sites. This position is seasonal full time at about 40 hours per week or more, Monday through Friday, starting full-time the first week of April, going until late October for November, with reduced hours at the end of the season and limited overtime during the busiest parts of the season. This is a perfect position for someone who is motivated by something larger than themselves, someone who loves the outdoors and engaging people in hands-on growing in the garden, a self-starter with the ability to see their work through with a high degree of independence and is looking for a great opportunity to grow. We provide training in GCG horticultural practices.
- Farm vegetable production sites throughout the Northeast. Plant, weed, spray, and harvest, according to GCG’s horticultural practices. Maintain onsite infrastructure as needed.
- Ability to perform physically challenging work in all weather conditions. Ability to move up to 50 lbs on a regular basis.
- Needs to be able to move quickly to optimize production.
- Represent GCG on-site and handle communications with clients and participants.
- Lead occasional informational programs with participants on-site.
- Document completed and future tasks in Zoho CRM at each site visit. Communicate additional site needs and customer feedback as needed for continual internal improvement. Be able to use Dropbox and a variety of programs for recordkeeping.
- At least 1 year of experience in farming or professional garden work
- Ability to work a flexible schedule that is based on site needs (long days, early mornings, weekends).
- A driver’s license and clean driving record, since driving to sites using a company vehicle allows us to have the greatest impact and reach. Following a conditional offer of employment, GCG may require a motor vehicle record check on all final candidates.
- Local candidates preferred.
- Medical, dental, vision and life insurance for employees, spouses, and children after 90 days
- 401(k) retirement plan with 4% employer matching contribution after 1 year
- Employee Stock Ownership Plan (ESOP) after 1 year
- Discretionary bonus program
To apply, please attach a resume and send a brief email to firstname.lastname@example.org outlining your experience and desire to be part of our team. Please no calls or emails other than to this email address.
Green City Growers does not discriminate in employment based on race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy and gender identity), national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, genetic information, age, membership in an employee organization, retaliation, parental status, military service, or other non-merit factor.