Green City Growers is New England’s premier urban farming company. We transform unused space into thriving urban farms, providing schools, homeowners, restaurants, businesses and communities with immediate access to nutritious food, while revitalizing city landscapes and inspiring self-sufficiency. Our clients include: Whole Foods Market, Harvard Pilgrim Health Care, B.GOOD restaurants, and Fenway Farms, a 5,000 square foot farm on the rooftop of Fenway Park. And there’s much more to come!
This is an exciting opportunity to join a hands-on team in a quickly growing company that is dedicated to developing sustainable onsite food production systems.
Full Time Seasonal: 32-40 hours/week
Start: March 23rd, 2020-Early December 2020
Compensation: Base $15/hour, commensurate with experience, plus partial benefits package
Green City Growers, or GCG, is growing and is looking to hire an urban farmer and educator for Boston and the surrounding area. This position is seasonal full time at about 32 – 40 hours per week. This is a perfect position for someone who is motivated by something larger than themselves, someone who loves the outdoors, a self-starter with the ability to see your work through with a high degree of independence, has at least one year farming or professional gardening experience and is looking for a great opportunity to grow. The ideal candidate will possess excellent communication skills, a positive attitude, be present and transparent, maintain a strong sense of personal responsibility, humble demeanor, logical thinker, thoughtful and self-starter.
- Site Management: Visit a variety of clients’ gardens throughout Boston, Cambridge, and the surrounding areas to plant, maintain, and harvest according to GCG’s horticultural practices. Work with Operations team to maintain onsite infrastructure.
- Education and Programming: Lead one-on-on and group garden education programs for adults and children at residential, school, corporate wellness, and eldercare sites. Assist and facilitate preparation for and execution of special events.
- Administration: Prepare for and document work daily in our online systems, including Google Calendar, Google Forms, and Zoho CRM. Provide customer and participant feedback as needed for internal continual improvement processes.
- Customer Service: Be the face of GCG on site and handle communications with clients and participants.
- Communication: Work directly with management and the Account Coordinator to ensure garden quality and efficient scheduling Attend regular horticulture department meetings remotely.
IDEAL QUALIFICATIONS AND SKILLS
- At least 1 year of experience in farming or professional garden work. Experience with management or leading volunteers. Experience working with youth and/or 55 plus populations preferred.
- Some administrative experience and comfort using technology.
- Ability to work flexible schedule (occasional long days, early mornings, Saturdays).
- Detail-oriented, with a demonstrated commitment to high quality work.
- Driver’s license required. Use of personal vehicle (reimbursed).
- Ability to perform physically challenging work in all weather conditions. Ability to move heavy objects on a regular basis (50 Lbs).
To apply, please attach a resume and send a brief email with the subject “Urban Farmer Application” to email@example.com outlining your experience and desire to be part of our team. Please no calls or emails other than to this address.
Green City Growers does not discriminate in employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy and gender identity), national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, genetic information, age, membership in an employee organization, retaliation, parental status, military service, or other non-merit factor.