Green City Growers is an employee owned, certified B Corp and is the premier urban farming company based in Somerville, Massachusetts. We transform unused space into thriving urban farms, providing our clients which include schools, homeowners, restaurants, corporate campuses, senior living communities, and sporting venues with immediate access to nutritious food, while revitalizing city landscapes and inspiring self-sufficiency. Most farmers will tend to raised bed gardens, with the potential for working with in-ground and/or indoor growing systems. This is an exciting opportunity to join a hands-on team in a quickly growing company that is dedicated to developing sustainable onsite food production systems and educating people to grow sustainably.
Full-time hourly position
Wage Range: $19 – $23/hour
Location: Somerville, MA
Green City Growers, or GCG, is growing and is looking to hire a School Garden Farmer Educator for our programs at school gardens in Boston and the surrounding area. This position is seasonal full time at about 32 – 40 hours per week. This is a perfect position for someone who is motivated by something larger than themselves, someone who loves the outdoors and engaging people in hands-on growing in the garden, a self starter with the ability to see their work through with a high degree of independence and is looking for a great opportunity to grow.
- Garden Management:Responsible for the crop planning, planting, maintenance, and harvesting at a variety of raised-bed gardens throughout Boston and the surrounding areas according to GCG’s horticultural practices. These sites will primarily be school gardens and youth clubs. Farmer Educators work with our Installations team to maintain onsite infrastructure.
- Education and Programming: : Plan and lead one-on-one and group garden education programs primarily for students pre-K through grade 12. Programs may also include senior assisted living communities and youth clubs. Assist and facilitate preparation for the execution of special events.
- Customer Service: Be the face of GCG on site and handle communications with clients and participants.
- Communication: Check schedule multiple times daily using Google Calendar, document completed and future tasks in Zoho CRM at each site visit. Communicate additional site needs and customer feedback as needed for continual internal improvement. Be able to use Dropbox and a variety of programs for lesson planning.
- Transportation: We require a driver’s license and clean driving record, since driving between multiple sites a day using a company vehicle allows us to have the greatest impact and reach. Following a conditional offer of employment, GCG may require a motor vehicle record check on all final candidates.
IDEAL QUALIFICATIONS & SKILLS:
- The ideal candidate will be a self-starter who is able to work independently using skills gained from in-house training, possess excellent communication skills, a positive and flexible attitude, and maintain a keen sense of personal responsibility. Detail-oriented, with a commitment to high quality work and continuous improvement.
- Must love working with children or youth.
- At least 1 year of experience leading and engaging children or youth in a group setting such as school, after school, camp or outdoor/farm education program required.
- At least 1 year of experience in farming or professional garden work.
- Comfort using technology to complete administrative work.
- Some administrative experience and comfort using technology.
- Ability to work flexible schedule that is based on site needs (long days, early mornings, weekends).
- Ability to perform physically challenging work in all weather conditions. Ability to move up to 50 lbs on a regular basis.
- Driver’s license required. Following a conditional offer of employment, GCG requires motor vehicle record checks on all final candidates. An applicant for employment will not be hired if they do not have a clean driving record.
- Medical, dental, vision and life insurance for employees, spouses, and children after 90 days
- 401(k) retirement plan with 4% employer matching contribution after one years
- Employee Stock Ownership Plan (ESOP) after one year
- Discretionary bonus program
To apply, please attach a resume and send a brief email to firstname.lastname@example.org outlining your experience and desire to be part of our team. Please no calls or emails other than to this email address.
Green City Growers does not discriminate in employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy and gender identity), national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, genetic information, age, membership in an employee organization, retaliation, parental status, military service, or other non-merit factor