Green City Growers is an employee owned, certified B-Corp, premier urban farming company based in Somerville, Massachusetts. We transform any space into thriving urban farms, providing schools, homeowners, restaurants, businesses, and communities with immediate access to nutritious food, while revitalizing city landscapes and inspiring sustainability. Our clients include schools, corporate campuses, grocery stores, restaurants, private residences, and sporting venues. This is an exciting opportunity to join a strong team in a quickly growing company that is dedicated to developing sustainable onsite food production systems in the Northeast and beyond.
Seasonal full-time position: >32 Hours/Week
Wage Range: $18 – $24/hour
Compensation: Commensurate with experience, plus benefits
Green City Growers, or GCG, is growing and is looking to hire an urban farmer for Boston and the surrounding area. This position is seasonal full-time at about 32 – 40 hours per week. This is a perfect position for someone who is motivated by something larger than themselves, someone who loves the outdoors, a self-starter with the ability to see your work through with a high degree of independence and is looking for a great opportunity to grow.
- Site Management: Visit a variety of clients’ gardens throughout Boston, Cambridge, and the surrounding areas to plant, maintain, and harvest according to GCG’s horticultural practices. Work with Operations team to maintain onsite infrastructure.
- Education and Programming: Plan and lead one-on-one and group garden education programs for adults and children at residential, school, corporate wellness, and eldercare sites. Assist and facilitate preparation for and execution of special events.
- Administration: Prepare for and document work daily in our online systems, including Google Calendar, Google Forms, and Zoho CRM. Provide customer and participant feedback as needed for internal continual improvement processes.
- Customer Service: Be the face of GCG on-site and handle communications with clients and participants.
- Communication: Work directly with management and the Account Coordinator to ensure garden quality and efficient scheduling. Attend regular horticulture department meetings.
IDEAL QUALIFICATIONS & SKILLS:
- The ideal candidate will possess excellent communication skills, a positive attitude, be present and transparent, maintain a strong sense of personal responsibility, humble demeanor, logical thinker, thoughtful and self-starter. Detail-oriented, with a demonstrated commitment to high quality work.
- At least 1 year of experience in farming or professional garden work.
- Experience with management or leading volunteers. Experience working with youth and/or 55 plus populations preferred.
- Some administrative experience and comfort using technology.
- Ability to work flexible schedule (occasional long days, early mornings, weekends).
- Ability to perform physically challenging work in all weather conditions. Ability to move heavy objects on a regular basis (50 Lbs).
- Driver’s license required. Following a conditional offer of employment, GCG requires motor vehicle record checks on all final candidates. An applicant for employment will not be hired if they do not have a clean driving record.
- Medical, dental, vision and life insurance for employees, spouses, and children
- 401(k) retirement plan with 4% employer matching contribution
- Employee Stock Ownership Plan (ESOP)
- Discretionary bonus program
To apply, please attach a resume and send a brief email with the subject “Urban Farmer Application” to firstname.lastname@example.org outlining your experience and desire to be part of our team. Please no calls or emails other than to this address.
Green City Growers does not discriminate in employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy and gender identity), national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, genetic information, age, membership in an employee organization, retaliation, parental status, military service, or other non-merit factor