Green City Growers is New England’s premier urban farming company. We transform unused space into thriving urban farms, providing schools, homeowners, restaurants, businesses and communities with immediate access to nutritious food, while revitalizing city landscapes and inspiring self-sufficiency. Our clients include: Whole Foods Market, the Beverly Public School system, Harvard Pilgrim Health Care, Boston Properties, B.GOOD restaurants, and Fenway Farms, a 5,000 sq. ft farm on the rooftop of Fenway Park. And there’s much more to come!
Part Time Urban Farmer
Part-time: 8-16 hours/week; Starting at $15/hour. plus partial benefits package includes health stipend, 401K plan, disability insurance, dental insurance.
Seasonal: ASAP– Early November with opportunities for part-time off season work
This is an exciting opportunity to join a hands-on team in a growing company that is dedicated to helping bring sustainable food production into Boston and beyond.
- Available for a Tuesday-Saturday schedule
- At least one season of previous farm or professional gardening experience
- Some teaching or leadership experience
- Some administrative experience and comfort with technology/computers
- Detail oriented with a demonstrated commitment to high quality work
- Strong time management and organizational abilities, with the ability to work in a very fast-paced environment
- Excellent communication skills, positive attitude, and professional demeanor
- Flexible schedule – occasionally days run long
- Willingness and ability to perform physically challenging work in all weather conditions
- A love of the outdoors, farming, and urban renewal!
* Your own reliable vehicle to use for work is helpful. Farmers who use their own vehicles are reimbursed for mileage.
- Ornamental landscaping and/or landscape design
- Production farm management or planning
- Orchard and berry bush care
- Chicken care and coop maintenance
- Carpentry or construction
- Teaching and lesson planning
- Experience in working with kids and/or seniors
- Visit a variety of clients’ gardens throughout the Greater Boston Area to plant, maintain, and harvest according to GCG’s horticultural practices. We use all organic management techniques, including OMRI approved crop protection. Our staff tend to raised bed vegetable gardens, in-ground gardens, indoor grow systems, rooftop farms, orchards, chicken coops, and more!
- Management of interns, crew members, and volunteer groups may be occasionally required.
- Prepare for and document work daily in our online systems, including T-Sheets, Google Calendar, Google Forms, and Zoho CRM.
- Attend regular weekly meetings with the horticultural staff to discuss problems/solutions, methods and materials. Communicate regularly with the Director of Operations to ensure garden quality and efficient scheduling.
- Other tasks may include assisting with GCG’s onsite research and development garden, maintaining and starting seedlings, keeping the office and start area clean and organized, educational curriculum development, and horticultural research and record keeping projects.
- Lead one-on-one and group garden education programs for adults and children at residential, school, corporate wellness, and eldercare sites.
Following a conditional offer of employment, GCG requires motor vehicle record checks on all final Urban Farmer candidates. An applicant for employment will not be hired if his or her driving record reflects any of the following infractions; some examples include but are not limited to:
- Suspended or revoked license.
- Three or more moving violations in the past 36 months.
- Any violations involving drugs, alcohol, controlled substances, etc. within the past 24 months.
- Leaving the scene of an accident within the past 24 months.
- Reckless driving within the past 24 months.
- At fault in an accident resulting in fatality or serious injury within the past five years.
To apply, please attach a resume and send a brief email with the subject “Part Time Urban Farmer Application” to firstname.lastname@example.org outlining your experience and desire to be part of our team. Please no calls or emails other than to this address.