Green City Growers, or GCG, is growing and is looking to hire urban farm crew for Boston and the surrounding area. This position is seasonal and part time at about 40 hours per week. This is a perfect position for someone who is interested in learning about urban agriculture, motivated by something larger than themselves, someone who loves the outdoors, enjoys working as part of a team, and is looking for a great opportunity to grow. This is an exciting opportunity to join a hands-on team in a quickly growing company that is dedicated to developing sustainable onsite food production systems.
- Site Management: Visit a variety of clients’ gardens throughout Boston, Cambridge, and the surrounding areas to plant, maintain, and harvest according to GCG’s horticultural practices. Work with Operations team to maintain onsite infrastructure.
- Education and Programming: Lead one-on-on and group garden education programs for adults and children at residential, school, corporate wellness, and eldercare sites. Assist and facilitate preparation for and execution of special events.
- Administration: Prepare for and document work daily in our online systems, including Google Calendar, Google Forms, and Zoho CRM. Provide customer and participant feedback as needed for internal continual improvement processes.
- Customer Service: Be the face of GCG on site and handle communications with clients and participants.
- Communication: Work directly with management and the Account Coordinator to ensure garden quality and efficient scheduling Attend regular horticulture department meetings remotely.
IDEA QUALIFICATIONS & SKILLS:
- The ideal candidate will possess excellent communication skills, a positive attitude, be present and transparent, maintain a strong sense of personal responsibility, humble demeanor, logical thinker, thoughtful and self-starter. Detail-oriented, with a demonstrated commitment to high quality work.
- At least 1 year of experience in farming or professional garden work. Experience with management or leading volunteers. Experience working with youth and/or 55 plus populations preferred.
- Some administrative experience and comfort using technology.
- Ability to work flexible schedule (occasional long days, early mornings, Saturdays).
- Ability to perform physically challenging work in all weather conditions. Ability to move heavy objects on a regular basis (50 Lbs).
- Driver’s license required. Following a conditional offer of employment, GCG requires motor vehicle record checks on all final candidates. An applicant for employment will not be hired if they do not have a clean driving record.
- Full Time Seasonal: ~40 Hours/Week.
- March – November or as conditions allow
- Wage: Base $15/hour, commensurate with experience, plus benefits package
To apply, please attach a resume and send a brief email with the subject “Urban Farmer Application” to firstname.lastname@example.org outlining your experience and desire to be part of our team. Please no calls or emails other than to this address.
Green City Growers does not discriminate in employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy and gender identity), national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, genetic information, age, membership in an employee organization, retaliation, parental status, military service, or other non-merit factor