Title: Business Development Associate
Department: Sales & Marketing
Location: Somerville MA
Reports to: President
Date of Opening: Immediately
Class: Full Time Salary
Our Company: Green City Growers is New England’s premier urban farming company. We transform unused space into thriving urban farms, providing schools, homeowners, restaurants, businesses and communities with immediate access to nutritious food, while revitalizing city landscapes and inspiring self-sufficiency through engagement. Our clients include: Whole Foods Market, the Boston Public Schools, office parks, assisted living communities, and Fenway Farms- a 5,000 square foot farm on the rooftop of Fenway Park. There is also much more to come!
The Role: Green City Growers seeks a positive, driven individual interested in immersing themselves in a growing business through outbound sales and assisting Green City Growers management in keeping the business running smoothly through administrative responsibilities and communications.
This is a perfect position for someone who is motivated by something larger than themselves, can work as part of a team, is a self-starter, can see your work through with a high degree of independence, and is looking for a great opportunity to grow. This is an exciting opportunity to join a hands-on team in a growing company that is dedicated to helping bring sustainable food production to Boston, the northeast and beyond.
Scope of Work:
- Sales & Business Development:
- Support the continued growth and expansion of GCG’s operations. Generate sales for our products and services from initial lead generation to customer contract closure. Manage prospective client data, task/activities and information and keep up to date CRM system.
- Preserve and file client information (physically and virtually) and prepare sales presentations.
- Compile costing/pricing information and compile estimates and proposals for new projects and existing project updates.
- Attend internal & external sales meetings, support sales calls, and assist in coordination of meetings with prospective clients.
- Collaborate with Administration Manager on transition from new deal to active project.
- Assure follow ups and sales tasks are scheduled and managed with team.
- Work with marketing support to continually develop and improve sales collateral, presentations and customer communications.
- Support contact management for communications channels and outbound sales campaigns (MailChimp, surveys, etc.).
- Provide material, content, and support for social media outlets.
- Research and Data:
- Research and monitor publications, events, conferences, speaking opportunities, and RFP’s. Analyze sales data with an eye to developing sales process efficiencies. Research market opportunities as needed.
- Facilitate lead generation, customer profiling and research new markets. Identify potential customer segments, partners, vendor, suppliers and manage CRM data
Supervisory Responsibilities: Possible managing of interns and as otherwise needed.
- Detail oriented and highly organized, business acumen.
- Collaborative and team-oriented approach to sales
- MS Office (Excel, Word, PowerPoint,) Google Suite, CRM (any variety) experience, data management, research
- Customer Service and sales experience preferred
- Interest in urban agriculture, organic farming, sustainability, urban planning
- Drivers license required
Qualifications: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Education/Experience: Bachelor’s degree (B.A.) from four-year College or university or a minimum of five years related experience and/or training.
Language & Communication Skills: To perform this job successfully, an individual must have the ability to communicate effectively in all circumstances, including over the phone, email and in person. Must have strong written, verbal interpersonal and cross-cultural skills to communicate and work with, employees, team-members, supervisor, management, and other external stakeholders.
Must have the ability to read, analyze, and interpret general business periodicals, professional journals, technical procedures, or governmental regulations. Ability to write reports, business correspondence, and procedure manuals.
Mathematical Skills: Ability to add, subtract, multiply, and divide in all units of measure, using whole numbers, fractions, and decimals. Compute rate, ratio, and percentage; apply concepts of basic algebra, and interpret graphs/charts and tables.
Reasoning Ability: The ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization exists. Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram, or schedule form.
Computer Skills: To perform this job successfully, an individual must have knowledge of MS Office Suite Software (Word, Excel, PowerPoint), CRM database software and be proficient in Internet software
Other Skills and Abilities: Promote a positive Company image and must understand overall department and company priorities. Must be a team player with a can-do attitude and be goal driven and well with minimal supervision, take initiative, be a self-starter, have a sense of urgency and be process driven. Must prioritize workload, track and follow-up with pending matters.
Physical Requirements & Work Environment: Work in office, greenhouse; customer sites and field sites subject to hot and cold temperatures and a wide variance of noise and will work while exposed to wet and/or humid conditions, uneven, muddy walking surfaces and outside weather conditions. Extended times sitting at desk and operating a computer and requires the manual dexterity to operation a telephone. Requires the visual acuity to review and prepare written documentation and to see close and far away. Must have the ability to understand speech at normal room levels and on the telephone. This position requires the employee to lift up to 50 lbs. horizontally and vertically, bend, stoop, stand, twist, and reach. This position may require working outside of normal business hours.
- Medical, dental, vision and life insurance for employees, spouses and children
- 401(k) retirement plan with 4% employer matching contribution
- Employee Stock Ownership Plan (ESOP),
- Free, voluntary & confidential counseling sessions (EAP Program)
- Discretionary bonus program
- Scholarship Program for the children of our employees heading to college
- Paid jury and witness duty leave, Paid bereavement leave, Paid sick leave (in excess of legal mandates)
To apply, please attach a resume and send a brief email with the subject “Business Development Associate Application” to email@example.com outlining your experience and desire to be part of our team. Please no calls or emails other than to this address.
Green City Growers does not discriminate in employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy and gender identity), national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, genetic information, age, membership in an employee organization, retaliation, parental status, military service, or other non-merit factor.